Located in Long Beach, California, just on the border of Los Angeles and Orange County, Long Beach Self Defense aka Lakewood Budo Kai is recognized as one of Southern California’s leading traditional martial arts and self defense schools; specializing in Danzan Ryu Jiujitsu, Shorin Ryu Karate, as well as Children’s Self Defense and Women's Self Defense classes.
As a traditional school we strive to uphold the traditional method of training whereas knowledge is passed from the highest black belt to lower black belts then to the brown belts and on down as done for hundreds of years in Japan, these traditional training methods have offered exceptional quality instruction to hundreds of students since 1979. All of our instructors are certified and have over 20 years of training and teaching experience, this ensures that our students receive training of exceptional quality.
We have been instrumental in hundreds of lives, from the white belt who started this month to the ones who started in our children's class and has grown and moved up and are now in our adult classes. Our students have come from all walks of life and professions, all who have been drawn to us because of our uniqueness and quality of instruction.
- Traditional Japanese training and philosophy
- Personal training from black belt instructors
- Practice with other students and gain fellowship with them
- Comprehensive classes and instruction
- Advanced training sessions once you reach a level of proficiency
- Special classes for higher ranking students i.e. advanced techniques, weapons, etc.